Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Covenant Keeper

Reading Revelation has made me think about my salvation and the assurance of that salvation.  I belong to Christ irrevocably through His gift. I think about how God worked in the Old Testament and thought of the promises made to the patriarchs.  Some of those promises were conditional in that they had to meet God’s requirements before God was obligated to bless them.  But God always specified when a promise was conditional.  Then I pondered God’s covenant promises and how even when people messed up and sinned, God still kept his promise.  It is a pattern we see throughout the Word of God.  God is a covenant keeping God.

So I spent time in prayer this week and asked God to show me specific passages regarding our salvation.  I would like to share with you some of the ones I found.
I John 1:7-9 says:  7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16-18:  16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 10:27-29:  27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.

Jude, verse 24:  24 To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—

And finally Romans for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.

All of these verses, along with several others lead me to conclude that I am saved from ALL unrighteousness, even my future sin. The Lord has cancelled my debt completely.  Jesus is able and when He says He gives me eternal life, it begins at salvation.  When He says we will never perish, He means it!  And finally, salvation and the Holy Spirit are gifts we receive freely from God at the time we believe and Romans confirms to me that God’s gifts are irrevocable, binding, permanent, and final.  Praise and glory to Him who sits on the throne!!

No comments:

Post a Comment